I work in the field of applied and computational mathematics. My work
involves mathematical modeling and analysis of PDEs, numerical and
functional analysis, probability, and other sciences and
engineering. My projects with students and
collaborators range from rigorous analysis through algorithm
development to applied simulations inspired by interdisciplinary
applications and data science.
Details on my professional activities are in my full CV and in short bio.
I have been at Oregon State since 2003. Previously, I held positions at the University of Texas at Austin (ICES and Mathematics); Purdue University; Polish Academy of Sciences; and Warsaw University of Technology. I also was a short-term visitor elsewhere and a Fulbright Research Fellow in 2009-10. I received PhD in Mathematics (1992) from University of Augsburg, Germany under the direction of Prof. Karl-Heinz Hoffmann; see my mathematical genealogy. My MS is in Applied Math (1986), and Habilitation in Mathematics (2011), from Warsaw University of Technology.
- Program Director, Division of Mathematical Sciences, National Science Foundation (2019-), while on leave from Oregon State
- Professor (2012-) and Graduate Chair (2015-2019), Mathematics Department at Oregon State University
- SIAM PNW Section (see SIAM PNW homepage) President (2018-20), Vice-President (2016-18) and SIAM PNW Section Fall 2017 biennial meeting, Corvallis, OR, Chair of Organizing Committee, Fall 2017; SIAM PNW Fall 2019 member of OC.
- SIAM Committee on Programs and Conferences, 2017-2019, and 2019-2022; SIAM-JMM, 2018-19-20 and ad-hoc SIAM JMM 2019-20; SIAM Geosciences Prize Committee (2018-19); SIAM Geosciences 2021 Program Committee.
- AWM-SIAM Sonya Kovalevskaya Prize Lecture selection Committee 2019-22 (Chair 2020)
- Associate Editor, SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis
- Associate Editor, JAM
- Associate Editor, IJNAM
- Member of the Editorial Board, Computation
- Joel Davis Faculty Excellence Award, awarded by Mathematics Department, 2016
- Graduate Faculty Award, (awarded by Mathematics graduate students), 2016.
- Distinguished Fellow of the Collegium of Eminent Scientists of Polish Origin and Ancestry, Kosciuszko Foundation, January 2015.
- Fulbright Research Scholar, 2009-2010, University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
- Mortar Board Top Professor Award, Oregon State University, May 2005
- Co-author of , Honorable Mention, Best Paper in Geophysics by Society of Exploration Geophysicists at the occasion of its 75’th Anniversary, 2005
- First Award of the Director and Scientific Council of Systems Research Institute, Polish Academy of Sciences (1993)
- Stefan Batory (Soros) Foundation International Travel Award (1993)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) Research Fellowship, 1990–1992, University of Augsburg, Augsburg, Germany