Department of Chemistry
Oregon State University

Home · Admissions · Advising · Chemistry Minor · Internships · Curricula · Research · Scholarships · Contact

Prerequisites and Overrides for Courses


Many students wishing to take courses during the academic year or the summer may have questions about prerequisites, particularly given the automatic enforcement of certain prerequisites during registration. 

  •  An override is not required if a student is taking the prerequisite course at OSU or has successfully transferred a course to OSU that articulates directly to OSU as a CH course with the same number as the OSU prerequisite course as documented in the data base for the student.

  • An override is needed if a transferred course does not articulate directly as the appropriate OSU course or the course has not been completed at the other institution.

The following information is intended for prospective students and their academic advisors to help determine if a student has the required prerequisites to enroll in a chemistry course.  Prerequisite courses are listed in the OSU online catalog & schedule of classes (see links below) for each course offered. 


The Department of Chemistry will issue a prerequisite override only if the student provides documentation (e.g., a transcript) from their school showing that they have satisfactorily completed an equivalent course(s) to the OSU prerequisite course(s). You may be able to determine how the course you have taken at your home school articulates to the course number at OSU and thus determine if you have the prerequisite by going to the following pages:

Oregon College Articulation Table

How Chemistry Courses Transfer to OSU

The WEB page reached by the second link  provides chemistry articulation tables for all Oregon schools and a number of out of state schools. It indicates if a given transfer courses articulates directly as an OSU numbered course or as a course without a number,  CH LDT (lower division) or CH UDT (upper division credit). The table further indicates if an LDT or UDT course is an acceptable substitute for an OSU course or sequence and can be used as a prerequisite.

If you believe that you have the prerequisites, then you should contact the main Chemistry Office for assistance and request an override for a summer chemistry course. There are three ways to contact the Chemistry Office: (1) email; (2) call the Chemistry Office at (541) 737-2081; or (3) come to 153 Gilbert Hall between the hours of 9-12 or 1-4 PST for assistance. Be sure to include information on what course you want to register for and what prerequisite course(s) you want the office to evaluate. For all sequence courses enrollment in subsequent terms requires a passing grade in the previous term. See more details about overrides below.

No distinction is made between courses offered on campus or through ECampus.

More details about how to obtain override at the chemistry office

General Placement Guidelines:

CH 121 - 5 credits

The CH 121 sequence (CH 121, 122, 123) is only for students who have:

  1. Little or no high school, AND
  2. Concurrent enrollment in or successful completion of MTH 095 or higher.

A more gradual and thorough approach in this sequence will prepare students to take an advanced chemistry course such as CH 331. Students who do not place in MTH 095 should complete MTH 065 with a C or better and then enroll in MTH 095 concurrently with CH 121. Exception: students without high school chemistry who have AP credit or placement in MTH 251 or higher may take CH 201, 221, or 224H.

CH 221 - 5 credits

CH 221, 222, 223 is a general chemistry sequence of 15 credits intended for science, pharmacy, chemical engineering, pre-medical/pre-dental students, and others interested in a complete general chemistry sequence. Only students who have the following should enroll in CH 201 or 221:

  1. At least one year of high school chemistry, AND
  2. Successful completion of MTH 111 or higher OR concurrent enrollment in MTH 111 OR placement in MTH 112 or higher.

For more information, consult your academic advisor.

Students qualified to take CH 201 or CH 221 should not be placed in CH 121.

CH 331 - 4 credits

CH 331 and 332 are lecture courses covering Organic Chemistry; CH 337 is a combined lecture/lab course expanding on material in the first two. The three-term sequence is intended to satisfy the needs of students required to take a full year of organic chemistry with lab (pre-medical and other pre-professional students in particular). A student must have completed a year of General Chemistry to be ready for this sequence.

Links to the OSU Online Catalog:

CH 121

CH 221

CH 331